This upgrade integrates the idea that addicts, co-addicts, and all of us struggling to lift ourselves out of shame, confusion, emptiness, and fear are really trying to restore our true Selves with the essential support of our Higher Power.Our human yearning for health, serenity, compassion, unity, love and Life-purpose are timeless and universal and so are our evolving spiritual needs. We can heal the shame that had been binding us since our childhood by adopting 12 step recovery programme
These 12 steps are:
- I accept that I had been powerless over the effects of false-self dominance (shame), and that my life had been unmanageable.
- I have come to believe that a power greater than me can help me restore my true Self to guide and harmonize my personality
- I decided to turn my will and life over to the care of God.
- I made a searching and fearless inventory of myself.
- I admitted to God the exact nature of my false-self’s harmful behaviours.
- I was entirely ready to have God help me permanently reduce my psychological wounds.
- I humbly asked God to empower me to shift my personality leadership to God and my true Self.
- I identified all persons my false self has significantly harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
- I made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when doing so would injure them or others.
- I continued to take personal inventory and, when I was wrong, promptly admitted it without undue guilt, sham, or anxiety.
- I sought through prayer and meditation to improve my relationship with my Higher Power, seeking to improve my awareness of God’s will and the courage to carry it out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening from these steps, I try to practice them in my daily life, and to model and respectfully offer these principles to others who suffer false-self wound.
The spirit of these 12 steps offers seekers an effective framework and guide for quest towards holistic health, serenity and being all we can be.